Tuesday 7 May 2013

Style Arc Sandra jeans

I made myself these awesome Sandra Jeans by Style Arc and I could not be prouder. So here they are, in my very first blog post!


The fabric is an old piece of black jean fabric I have had lying around since for-evar that was a gift form a friend that had purchased it for another purpose then making jeans, but never used. Anyway, I never used it before because of my fear of sewing anything with zipper or requiring fitting. I have now faced my fears and learned to deal with it and am pretty proud of the results!

I pre-washed the fabric as one of my major issues with of the rack jeans is that the length is never long enough and I wanted to avoid shrinkage after washing. This meant that the jeans expanded a bit whilst wearing and I have taken them in a bit by putting them on inside out, and pinning along my legs. Took more then 2cm on each leg out, making these jeans a bit skinnier then the pattern intended me thinks.

I used Sandra Betzina's method to create the zip fly and I have to admit that I couldnt have overcome my fear without seeing this video. Thank you Sandra for showing me and no doubt plenty of others the way.

I buried the zip ends into the waistband, hoping that is the correct way to do it. Its looks fine, that's for sure.

I didn't embellish the pockets, but will do so for my next pair of jeans, blue this time. I have some embroidery thread that I picked up when I bought my cutting table on Gumtree and my machine has some lovely embroidery settings that I have never used.


I  used a hook and eye device for the closure. Not sure how I'd manage a jeans press stud and a normal button definitely didn't seem right. Tips are welcome here!


15 comments:

  1. Great job on the jeans - they look fantastic. Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan and thanks/congrats on being my very first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaf eef!!!zit en staat je goed!je hebt tallent xxx mam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super dat je ook een blog hebt hoor!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trots op de broek en trots op je blog. papa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jeans are awesome. They look like RTW! Such talent you have. With summer approaching, you can make more jeans in the latest colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! 'Im in Australia so we have winter approaching here but I so will be making them in all colours of the rainbow no matter what. I highly recommend the pattern. Are you planning on making a pair?

      Delete
  7. Je vader is Rete-Trots XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are great jeans! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prachtig gemaakt! Je hebt echt talent meid! Ga zo door, aan de machine zal het niet liggen! Papa heeft het verklapt op welke je naait! Staat je allemaal echt geweldig! Ben jaloers op die leuke vlotte jurkjes! Ach heb ik het figuur niet voor LOL!
    Ga zo door!
    Groetjes uit een winderig holland!
    Marianna, vriendin van Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianna, Bedankt voor je complimenten. Nu ik de trotse bezitter ben van de geweldige Bernina ben ik niet meer te stoppen. Ik zit elk vrij moment achter de machine. En ik voel me dan altijd erg met mijn moeder verbonden. Zo speciaal en zo'n fijne manier om haar een toch een beetje bij me te houden.

      Delete